Are you tired of your present career path? Feeling bored and/or unsatisfied with your job? Are you unsure what type of work you wish to pursue? Bewildered with the number and variety of career options? Whether you’re a student just beginning your career or an experienced professional, talking to a career counselor is beneficial. In person or online, career counseling helps you shape your future.
What is career counseling?
Career counseling is a technique used to assist a person in making informed decisions concerning their career. The counselor helps you understand your interests, abilities, values, personality and circumstances in order to facilitate your decision making. You’re provided with resources, taught strategies and offered aptitude tests. You receive the knowledge and develop the skills necessary to make good career/life choices now and in the future. Career counseling is effective for people of all ages and all stages of life.
The benefits of career counseling:
Having discussions/assessments with a professional career counselor has many benefits.
- Clarify your goals: Through a range of discussion and assessments the counselor helps you understand your work preferences, values and interests. They explore your favourite work experience to date. Your relationship with leaders, managers and organizers is examined. You discover how you learn best and consider how you overcome challenges. These activities assist you in clarifying your goals in regard to work/career.
- Understand your options: A career counselor discusses with you all career options that match your values, capabilities, interests and personality. They help you understand the education and/or training you need to pursue each option and support you in locating resources and/or information that assists you.
- Determine your strengths and weaknesses through the use of career tests (personality, aptitude, psychometric analysis, IQ, etc.). These evaluative tools help you determine your abilities and reveal areas that require improvement. Your counselor then shows you how to strengthen weak areas.
- Learn key skills: A career counselor identifies gaps in your professional preparation then helps you learn a range of skills to fill these requirements; communication skills, skills needed for applying for a job, attending an interview, negotiating salary/needs/wants, etc.
- Broaden your perspective: A competent career counselor helps provide a long term perspective that assists you in strategizing your career moves, achieving your goals quickly, and reaching career satisfaction. They’ll assist you in cultivating a positive attitude, resilience, confidence and hope. They’ll help you realize your potential.
- Develop good strategies: A skilled career counselor helps you create a strategy that suits your unique needs and situation. They’ll teach you how to network, how to use social media to further your career and help you find training/development opportunities.
- Receive job search support: A career advisor provides job search assistance; tips on how to locate job openings, information on how to research specific companies, advice on identifying your network and help developing your networking skills. The counselor will be aware of the current job market, show you strategies for finding jobs and teach you how to use social media to your advantage.
- Capitalize on a range of resources: A capable career counselor helps you determine what areas to focus on, assists you in writing a resume and cover letters and guides you through education planning and admission requirements. They support you in identifying which resources best suit your situation and your needs/wants. They train you in the effective use of these resources and provide placement assistance.
- Prepare you for change: Change is stressful and confusing, making a career change challenging. Career counseling helps you through the uncertainty with practical advice, guidance and emotional support.
- Maximize your potential: Feeling inadequate, losing hope and diminishing confidence can result from unsuccessful job hunting. You’re left feeling like you’ll never achieve your goals or fulfill your potential. A career counselor helps you understand your potential and recognize your aspirations. This enables you to enter your career search with a sharpened focus.
From researching multiple career options to connecting with industry professionals to discovering job hunting resources, a counselor helps you feel confident about your career path. They empower you to seek your dream career! No matter your age or level of experience, consider using the services of a career counselor.
Considering a career change? Interested in some expert advice and assistance? Call our Calgary recruiting agency, Equation Staffing Solutions at 1-844-367-9618. We are a reliable, innovative, collaborative agency here to support you in your search for a position and/or personnel. Our experience will assist you! Contact us today.