A job interview is a two-way street. The potential employer is assessing you, deciding whether you’re right for the position. You’re deciding whether the position and organization are a good fit for you. This makes it vital that you prepare a list of questions to ask the hiring manager. What do you want to know about the role? The company? The team? Come with questions that demonstrate your knowledge of the company and your interest in the position. Pay attention during the interview, coming up with one or two more questions based on the discussion and eliminating any queries that have already been answered. The following is a list of possible questions to ask in an interview. Choose those that are relevant to the position you’re applying for and will supply the information you seek to help with your decision.
Questions regarding Duties and Requirements:
- What does a typical day and/or week look like in this role?
- What are the key responsibilities of this position?
- What are the most immediate projects that need to be addressed?
- Can you show me examples of projects I’d be working on?
- What are the skills and experiences you’re looking for in an ideal candidate?
- What attributes does someone need to have in order to be highly successful in this position?
- What types of skills is the team missing that you’re looking to fill with a new hire?
- What type of background do you feel would be best suited for success in this position?
- What are the biggest challenges that someone in this position would face?
- What sort of budget would I be working with?
- Is this a new role or will I be taking over for an employee who’s leaving?
- How does this position contribute to the company overall?
- Do you expect the main responsibilities for this position to change in the next six months to a year?
- How does this position fit into the company?
- What training programs are available to new employees?
- Who would my immediate supervisor be? How would you describe their management style?
- How soon after hiring would I expect a performance review? What process is used?
- Is overtime expected?
- What’s the most important thing I should accomplish in the first ninety days?
- How much travel is expected?
- Is relocation a possibility?
Questions regarding Office Structure:
- How many people work in this office/department?
- Who does this position report to?
- If I am offered the position, can I meet the supervisor before making my final acceptance decision?
- What is the company’s management style?
- Do you have a policy for helping new members of the team get on board?
Questions regarding Training and Professional Development:
- What does your onboarding process look like?
- What learning and professional development opportunities are available to your employees?
- Will there be opportunities for assignments where I can learn and use new skills?
- What are the prospects for advancement in this position?
- Are there opportunities for advancement within the company?
- Would I be able to represent the company at industry conferences?
- Where have successful employees previously in this position progressed to?
Questions regarding the Company:
- Can you tell me more about [a significant company development you are aware of]?
- What direction do you see this company heading in over the next few years?
- What can you tell me about your new products or plans for growth and development?
- What are the current goals that the company is focused on?
- How does this team work to support reaching these goals?
- What are the organization’s biggest challenges?
- What is the organization’s management style?
- What gets you most excited about the company’s future?
- What are the company’s most important values?
- How does the company ensure it’s upholding its values?
Questions regarding the Team:
- Tell me about the team I’ll be working with.
- Who will I work with most closely?
- Who will I report to directly?
- What are the team’s biggest strengths and challenges?
- Do you expect to hire more people in this department in the next six months?
- Which other departments work most closely with this one and how?
Questions regarding the Company Culture:
- How would you describe the work environment (collaborative or more independent)?
- How does the team form and maintain strong bonds?
- Can you tell me about the last company event you did together?
- What’s your favourite office tradition?
- What do you and the team usually do for lunch?
- Does anyone at the company or on this team spend time together outside the office?
- Do you ever do joint events with other companies or departments?
- What’s different about working here than anywhere else you’ve worked?
- How has the company changed since you joined?
- How has the organization overcome challenges with remote work?
- How does the company make sure that remote and hybrid employees are given the same opportunities and standards as in-office employees?
- What are the biggest rewards of the job and working for this company?
Questions regarding the Interviewer:
- How long have you been with the company?
- Has your role changed since you’ve been here?
- What did you do before this?
- Why did you come to this company?
- What’s your favourite part about working here?
- What’s your least favourite part of working here?
- What’s one challenge you occasionally or regularly face in your job?
- What part of your job are you most excited about over the next few months?
- Are there any upcoming initiatives or projects you’re especially interested in?
Prepare questions before attending a job interview and welcome the interviewer’s invitation to ask your questions. Customize your queries to the specific opportunity. Pay close attention during the dialogue as some of your prepared questions may be answered in the general discussion. Use your queries to show your interest and gain information that helps you make an informed decision regarding the wisdom of accepting the position.
Looking for a new position? Need help preparing questions for a job interview? Call the Calgary recruiting agency, Equation Staffing Solutions at 1-844-367-9618. We are a reliable, innovative, collaborative agency here to support you in your search for a position and/or personnel. Our experience will assist you! Contact us today.