Are you out of work, with your savings rapidly diminishing? Do you need to find a job fast? Are you interested in gaining experience in a field outside your usual employment? Do you need to supplement your present income? Want to get your foot in the door of a company that you wish to work for? A temporary job may be the answer.
What is a temporary job?
A temporary job is an employment arrangement in which an individual fills a position for a set period of time as opposed to becoming a long-term employee of the company. Temporary positions are often found with companies that have a need for seasonal employees or require extra help to complete a specific project. They may also be found with companies covering pregnancy/parental leave and/or sabbatical leaves. Occasionally, a temporary position becomes an ongoing, full-time position if the employee’s performance is excellent and a position is available.
Why seek a temporary job?
Temporary jobs have many benefits, such as:
- They’re a relatively quick way to find a paying job.
- If you haven’t worked for some time, they let you earn money without fully diving back into the workforce.
- They allow an opportunity to explore new career fields.
- They enable you to earn money while you’re applying for full-time positions.
- They enable you to gain experience in a particular field or industry.
- They allow you the chance to network with others within the industry in which you wish to pursue a full-time career.
- They provide money to pay the bills while searching for more permanent employment.
- A temp job may lead to permanent employment.
- If you’ve been out of work for a while, a temporary position can give you the psychological boost you need to know you’re capable of landing a job.
- Temp jobs fill in the gaps on your resume, showing a prospective employer you’re willing and able to work.
- They allow you to work on a project-to-project basis.
- They allow you to keep your knowledge current and/or learn new skills.
- Temp jobs often offer flexibility in hiring requirements and/or working hours.
- A temp job may distract you from the anxiety associated with searching for the perfect permanent job.
Who should consider temporary employment?
Temporary employment is a great option for a wide range of workers.
- Career explorers: Temporary jobs allow you to try out new roles and/or new work environments, assisting you in determining your career path.
- Those who get bored easily may find the frequent change temporary jobs provide to be stimulating and engaging.
- Individuals returning to the workforce after an absence may find temporary jobs to ease reentry.
How to find a temporary job:
The following are steps you can take when searching for a temporary job:
- Prepare your resume: Update your resume, ensuring it relates to the temporary position(s) you are applying for.
- Search job boards for temporary positions. Use keywords to narrow the search to temporary placements.
- Find a temp agency. There are general temp agencies that work with all kinds of professions and industry-specific temp agencies. They’ll help you find a temporary position that best suits your needs and expertise. Submit your resume to your agency of choice, fill out an application, and schedule an interview.
- Utilize social media platforms like LinkedIn and Facebook to look for temporary jobs. Make sure your profile reflects your current skills, experience and work ethic. Subscribe to receive alerts when new job postings are available.
- Know your salary requirements: Having an ideal salary or hourly pay in mind before applying for temporary jobs helps you ensure your income needs are met.
If you like to travel, get bored easily, want to know a little bit about everything, are returning to the workforce after a long absence or are interested in exploring career options, a temporary job may be right for you. Reach out to a reputable employment agency. They can help you find a temporary job that suits your needs, skills, experience, preferences and interests.
Looking for temporary employment? Need some expert advice and assistance? Call the Calgary recruiting agency, Equation Staffing Solutions at 1-844-367-9618. We are a reliable, innovative, collaborative agency here to support you in your search for a position and/or personnel. Our experience will assist you! Contact us today.